Whether you’re a new believer in Christ and you are just beginning your faith journey or you’re looking to take your relationship and walk with the Lord deeper, here are a variety of resources that might be helpful along the way.
- YouVersion (find on your App Store) – sets the standard for app Quiet time usage, including many reading plans, multiple versions, and a community option
- Our Daily Bread (find on your App Store) – folks have been using this wonderful devotional for years. Now they even have a teen version
- iDisciple (find on your App Store) – devotions, reading plans, and what they call “growth plans” that address various struggles in life. There is a free version and a monthly membership option
- Evernote – Though this app isn’t Bible related, it is a great tool for journaling and keeping study notes in an extremely organized way that is accessible on all your devices.
- Any One-Year Bible is great as long as you are willing to let missed days remain missed. Otherwise, if you have a dry patch, you’ll fall far enough behind that it’s easy to give up. Remember, the One-Year Bible was made for man, not man for the One-Year Bible.
- Wide Margin Bibles by Cambridge Univ. Press – If you’re a note taker, this Bible is a great one for you. With margins at nearly 1.5″ all the way around, there’s plenty of space for all your writing.
Personal Bible Study
- Blue Letter Bible – a ridiculous amount of resources, all free, all at the press of a button
- Bible Gateway – similar to Blue Letter, but with a more user-friendly app
- Study Bibles
- Most study Bible are very good resources. I particularly like the NIV Study Bible, the ESV Study Bible, and the CSB Study Bible
- The Filament Bible is an excellent new resource from Tyndale House. Its accompanying app connects you to studies, videos, and other resources
- Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry – it’s like the apologetics and world religions big box store, except everything is free. Good place to start with anything that you are researching
- Answers in Genesis – it would be difficult to find a better and more thorough resource on Creation than this
- Discovery Institute – a great website on Intelligent Design and evolution
- Mormonism Research Ministry – I haven’t spent a lot of time on this site, but it is highly recommended and it seems very thorough
- Any of Lee Strobel’s The Case for… books
- Evidence That Demands a Verdictby Josh McDowell and Sean McDowell – an apologetics classic newly updated by Josh with his son, Sean. Definitely worth the read
- Any of Ron Rhodes Reasoning From the Scriptures… and The 10 Most Important Things You Can Say… books – subjects include Mormonism, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and Catholicism
- Christian Apologetics by Douglas Groothuis – thick and a little heady – and I don’t agree with where he goes regarding Creation – but overall a good resource
- Relevant Magazine – Culture, music, art, politics, theology, and much more are covered from a Christian perspective in this online magazine that is updated regularly.
- Christianity Today – A standard in Christian periodicals since 1956, CT features articles published by some of the most well-known pastors, authors, theologians, and thinkers in the Christian community.
- Common Sense Media – Reviews and ratings on movies, books, games, and much more so that you never find yourself seeing/hearing/reading something you don’t want to be exposed to