Fall has finally arrived in Colorado! Along the I-70 corridor, today is the third day in a row that snow has either shortened or canceled school. Kids are likely getting squirrelly and many adults are feeling a bit stir crazy. What a perfect day, then, for a Snowy Day Bible Quiz!!!!
What follows are ten questions about lesser known, but kinda cool, Bible stuff. Try answering them first without Google and see how you do. Then go back and internet your way through them. When you get your answers record them in the comments section below, putting the word “non-Googlefied” next to any answer you were able to get unaided. For everyone who includes their answers in the comments section (regardless of your score), your name will be dropped into a drawing for two spectacular prizes given out at a special Tweener service this Sunday. You must be present to win, because it’s just no fun otherwise. If you can’t make it to church this week, don’t let that stop you. You can still impress everyone around you with your deep Bible knowledge (a goal which may or may not be 100% biblical). Only one entry per person, but multiple persons per family may enter.
So, if your kids have frozen fingers from excessive snowman building and you’re caught up on all of your recorded Hallmark movies, join in the fun. Brew up some hot chocolate, pop open the laptop, and let’s get biblical.
- What was the name of the guy who was the captain of King David’s bodyguard, a snowy-pit lion killer, and an all-around stud who eventually became the head of King Solomon’s army?
- How many signs did Jesus perform in the Gospel of John to prove He is the actual, genuine, real McCoy Messiah?
- What two books of the New Testament were likely written by brothers of Jesus (talk about living in your brother’s shadow!)?
- What word did the Gileadites make those crossing the Jordan River say to discover whether or not they were actually Ephraimites fleeing capture – a word that has since become part of the English language meaning “a peculiarity of pronunciation, behavior, mode of dress, etc., that distinguishes a particular class or set of persons”?
- Which book of the Bible did the band Kansas paraphrase in their song “Dust in the Wind”? (Hint: it is the same book from which the Byrds pulled their second U.S. #1 hit single)
- What five books of the Bible are only one chapter long? (Quiet Time Tip: By investing only ten minutes reading time, you’ll be able to impress your friends the rest of the day with your spiritual awesomeness by telling them that you read five entire books of the Bible that morning)
- What great leader of an empire did Isaiah mention by name over 100 years before he had even been born?
- What prophet, obviously touchy about his male-pattern baldness, sent a couple bears to teach a bunch of obnoxious punk kids a lesson about rudeness?
- In which Gospel do we find Jesus teaching the crowds that “God helps those who help themselves” and to be “in the world, but not of the world”?
- What two animals spoke in the Bible? (Hint: only one can be paired with the phrase “…and sometimes He still does”)